The Beer Garden Directory
I’ve been checking in with some of my favourite pubs, so you know what their beer garden status is ready for April 12th. Where possible I’ve asked about hours and days, whether you need to book and if there’s anything else fun we need to know about. Get this page bookmarked as I will be updating it regularly – there are just a couple of entries to kick us off but I’m expecting more. Let me know in the comments or on social media if there is another pub you are looking forward to re-opening that I need to get in touch with!
Edit 02/04/21: Just to point out that the government’s guidelines are very clear on what counts as outdoors. It’s the same as smoking rules, so it can be a covered space providing there are less than 50% walls. So don’t go booking those dining domes for 12th April as they will still be illegal…
Also we’re seeing that everyone over 16 will have to check or sign in at pubs (but not any shops or other services obviously, because singling hospitality out is reasonable and totally fair.)
Opening April 12th
- The Bakers Arms – will be open, no bookings required.
- Bridle Lane Tavern – Will be open – Open midday to 10pm with food until 8pm. A smaller menu on Monday 12th April with burgers and fries for £5. Then they will be open on Friday and Saturday with a bao and burgers menu. Dog friendly and family friendly. Make a booking through the Bridle Lane or Zion Community Kitchen social media pages via private message.
- The Brookside Inn – open Monday 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Tuesday – Friday 3:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Saturday 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM, Sunday 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Call 0116 269 6660 to book.
- Bruxelles – open for walk ins
- The Bulls Head, Whetstone – will be open
- The Cradock Arms – will be open
- The Forge – will be open from 10am with Hothob baguettes from The Blacksmiths Deli and woodfired pizza from The Pizza Shed. They aren’t taking bookings until May.
- The Geese & Fountain will open from 5pm on 12th April for an outdoor beer and pizza festival and then will be open Sat & Sunday 11am-5pm or thereabouts. Booking is strongly advised on 01476 870350. Food will be available along with their food takeout/delivery on Friday & Saturday night and Sunday lunch plus weekly growler club of two pints for £6 on Friday nights. They are family friendly, dog friendly and even horse friendly!
- The Globe – Will be open from the 12th April, Monday-Friday food and drink available 11-9, Saturday 11-10 food stops at 9 and Sunday 11-5 drinks until 6. No bookings – first come first serve basis and we will be running a reduced food and drinks menu until things open up fully! Kids are welcome but rule of six applies and there is no kids menu but half portions of the main menu are available.
- The King’s Head – Will be open 12 – 12. Table service with seating available on the roof terrace and courtyard area and service will be from the new outside bar area. Booking isn’t required and there will be freshly made cobs initially followed by some hot snacks later on.
- Malt Shovel – Open 12-8pm on the 12th, moving to 4pm to 8pm Mon-Weds and 12pm-8pm Thurs-Sun.
- Mash & Press – Will be opening 2pm-7.30pm on Friday 16th, Sat 17th and Sun 18th and then will continue with weekend opening of the beer garden along with some weekday hours for takeout. No bookings, first come first served for tables.
- The Moorings – will be open
- The Navigation Inn, Barrow – will be open
- Old Hare & Hounds – They have capacity for 63 people so will be operating a booking system where people can book a table for two hours – book via 0116 367 7689.
- The Real Ale Classroom – Will be open from 4pm-10pm on week days. You can book through Facebook or Instagram. They will be offering a food menu from Timo’s Italian.
- The Riverside – will be open
- The Salmon – will be open and no booking necessary. City and Tigers games will be shown on the new outdoor screen and there is a marquee if it rains (fingers crossed it doesn’t break the 50% wall rule).
- The Stamford Arms – will be serving both food and drink from their pop up outside bar and kitchen. There secure children’s play area and you can book a table at www.stamfordarms.com.
- The Swan, Mountsorrel – will be open
- The Tree – will be open
- The White Horse, Birstall – will be open. 11am-10pm with food available. Call to book 0116 2671038.
- Duffy’s – Opening 18th May
- Firebug – Opening 18th May
- Knight & Garter – Opening 3rd June with weekend cocktail & oyster bar returning!
- Needle & Pin – not opening yet
- The Old Horse – Not opening until 17th May.
- Queen’s Road Tap – open for takeout from 15th April, Thu & Fri 4pm – 8pm / Sat 12noon – 6pm
- Rutland and Derby – open from 23rd April with pop-up food from POUTINE COLLECTIVE! Walk ins only.
- Tap at 76 – open for takeout from 15th April, Thu & Fri 4pm – 8pm / Sat 12noon – 6pm