Tryanuary 2018: Leicestershire Edition
Scroll down for events and offers
I’ve always been a big fan of Tryanuary here on the blog. This is the very sensible response to the knee jerk reaction of Dryanuary – instead of quitting booze for the month, encouraging you to get out there, explore, perhaps drink less but spend more on buying better to support your local breweries and hostelries.
|Enjoying a Framework brew at|
The Tap in the Square in late 2017
In January 2016 I was a busy little bee as we had so many new beer related things to celebrate, I shared my first visits to the Real Ale Classroom and the Needle & Pin – who have just finished their 1000 keg. I also enjoyed a fantastic Burn’s Night dinner at The Parcel Yard and enjoyed burgers and brews at their sister pub, The Paget in Loughborough. Having picked up a couple of cold ones at The Offie, I also wrote about Art Brew Orange and local favourites Tres Bien’s Cascade Special.
In January 2017 things were a bit busier, so I wasn’t able to get out and about quite as much. However, I still popped along to the new Framework Brewery – whose first birthday we just celebrated at the Tap in the Square at St Martin’s Square. I’m hopeful we’ll see them back in the city centre soon! To mix it up a bit, I reviewed the newly released Burleigh’s Leicester Edition gin, because that’s trying something new and local, so why not?
|Taking blogger’s on a beer tasting adventure|
at the West End Brewery in 2017
And now Tryanuary is here again, now with a shinier website and more coordinated events and activities on Twitter. And this year days of the month have been allocated to different areas so that they can show off what they have to offer. And Leicestershire’s day, along with Rutland and Northamptonshire is on Thursday 18th January.
So let’s make it big, let’s make it bold and let’s get out and support our local breweries and pubs in the cold, dark month of January.
|Enjoying Charnwood Brewery’s wares at The Parcel Yard’s celebration|
of female brewers in summer 2017
I’m making a list (and naturally I’m checking it twice) of what is happening, where you can go and what you can do on the 18th to celebrate our local beers. And I think we should arrange to head round a couple of pubs while we’re at it. I’ll keep this list regularly updated up until the 18th, so you all know what’s on offer – anyone wanting to add to the list just bob me an email, or tweet me @Morrighani!
Thursday 18th January
- Enjoy 10% off bottles at Brewklopedia on the 18th when you flash a screenshot of this blog post.
- The Geese & Fountain in Croxton Kerrial are ALL OVER Tryanuary. There’ll be getting in beers from breweries they have never had before for the whole of January (they re-open after their winter closure on 12th January) PLUS anyone flashing a screenshot of this blog post to them on 18th January will get 10% off all bottles, cans and draught beer! Woo hoo!
- Bag yourself 15% off everything in the Everards shop using the code #tryanuary at the checkout. Bargainous!
- 7.30pm – Local Tweet-Up – Sample Leicestershire Breweries
We’ll meet at The King’s Head, who are big Tryanuary supporters, and sample the local beers on offer. We’ll tweet about it all using #Tryanuary.
Where should we go after the King’s? I’m open to suggestions… but perhaps a city trail via Broood, The Blue Boar and The Criterion before heading to the West End Brewery would be a good plan? Join our Facebook event page.
- 8pm – Meet The Brewer – Framework Brewery at The Needle & Pin, Loughborough
- 8pm – Framework Showcase at The Bakers Arms, Northampton