I went to North Bar and Kitchen the other week for Dine on a Diet with UFit Studio, and I enjoyed the starter so much that I said at the time it was definitely something I would try myself, and I’ve only gone and done it! Mine doesn’t look as pretty as theirs, but it was nice. A full on creamy taste explosion with great texture, this is a completely viable alternative low carb version of leek and potato soup. Although I put some cheeky extras in mine…
Cauliflower and Leek Soup
Half a cauliflower (stalks and all)
A small carrot
2 cloves of garlic
One stick of celery
Stock (cube or fresh, whatever you prefer)
A pinch of chilli powder
A tsp of paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
- You can make it without the extra flavour ingredients (carrot, garlic and celery) – it’ll take less time, but it’s all veg, so who cares…
- Chop up your carrot, garlic and celery finely and gently fry off in a tiny dash of oil (spray oil is fine) until softened.
- Add in the chilli, paprika, chopped leek and cauliflower and fry gently for a further couple of minutes.
- Throw in the stock (and boiling water if you use a cube) so the liquid comes up to just below the veg.
- Simmer gently, covered, for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is softened.
- Use a handblender to blitz, add salt and pepper to taste.
In my naughty version, I added a parmesan rind along with the stock, then a splash of full fat milk just before I blitzed. I know how to live. A lovely warming winter dish. Serve with a toasted muffins if you are missing the carbs. And lots of butter. You could probably put some butter in the soup too.