Rice and Peas
Lo-Lo’s Rice and Peas
200g uncooked basmati rice
250g gungo peas, pre soaked and boiled until soft
1 tin of coconut milk
1 tin of water
2 large onions, chopped (I used one white and one red)
A few spoonfuls of tinned spinach
3 cloves garlic
2 chillis, chopped (or more/less according to taste)
2 tsp Jamaican Jerk seasoning (a cheat but worth it)
1 stock cube
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop your onions, garlic and chilli and soften in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the Jerk seasoning and stir in.
- Add the cooked peas, uncooked rice to the onion mixture and fry lightly for a few minutes.
- Add the stock cube, tin of coconut milk and same amount of water.
- Bring it all to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes. I put it on low and covered with a lid for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Make sure it doesn’t catch on the bottom.
- When most of the liquid is absorbed, stir in the spinach and check the seasoning. Heat for a final minute.
- Serve and enjoy! We had it on it’s own, but you could use some more of that seasoning to make yourself some Jerk Chicken to go with it…
Nutritional Information per Serving (One fifth of the recipe)
0.2g sat fat
5.2g dietary fibre
42% RDA Vit A
13.6% RDAVit C
17.7% RDA Iron