Guilt-Free Blackberry and Cinnamon Fairtrade Muffins
- Fair to the farmers who get a sustainable price to their products – because I am using Fairtrade ingredients.
- Fair to my health, because I have used wholemeal flour and reduced sugar for a tempting but not terrible treat.
- Fair to the wallet, because it makes use of the blackberries that everyone can get from their local hedgerow for free! Hooray!
In this recipe, I used Fairtrade cinnamon which you can get from Sainsburys. They have a range of herbs and spices on their own label and are the only supermarket that I have seen which do this. I also made use of Fairtrade sugar (of course!) although that’s not part of the Big Fair Bake cos of course sugar’s in a lot of bakes and doesn’t require much creativity!
Guilt-Free Blackberry and Cinnamon Wholemeal Muffins
Makes 12 small muffins
250g wholemeal plain flour
75g butter/low fat spread (I used Tesco Dairy Free Spread)
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp Fairtrade cinnamon
70g Fairtrade golden granulated sugar
2 handfuls of blackberries (frozen is fine if that’s what you have)
- Preheat the oven to 200’C.
- Cut the butter into the flour with a knife. Muffin recipes are better when they are worked less, so remember it doesn’t have to be like breadcrumbs – just amalgamate all the larger pieces of butter.
- Add the other dry ingredients and give a quick mix.
- Mix up the egg and milk into a jug.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry with a few stirs. The mixture is quite lumpy and that’s fine, do not overmix it or beat until smooth.
- Gently crush your blackberries a bit with a fork and then lightly fold into the mix so you get a ripple effect.
- Spoon the mixture into your cake cases
- Cook for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
And just to prove that these are a pretty good choice when it comes to treat food, I inputted the recipe into an online calorie calculator, and per muffin, here is the nutritional info. Most(ly) virtuous!!
Amount Per Serving
|Total Fat||4.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||23.3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.4 g|