7 Things you might not have known about me – meme!
I was so touched that @Mummiafelice tagged me in her blog post, that I have decided to reciprocate, even though I’m not sure there are seven interesting things about me, let alone things you don’t already know if you occasionally glance over my blog. But ne’ermind – read on, you might learn something!
|Chillin on Laguna Grande|
1. My favourite place in the world to visit (so far) is the Amazon Rainforest. I went around the world in 2009 and we spent a week in the Ecuadorian Amazon. It was beyond beautiful, and we were lucky to have an extremely rare opportunity to canoe for a day, catch our own dinner and then camp out in primary rainforest.
I was very happy to see amazing sites like toucans in flight, pink river dolphins displaying and everyone’s favourite, the Yellow Handed Titi Monkey.
2. I love art and I love all forms of crafting, but contrary to what is written in the popular press, calling me ‘British Artist Laura Hadland’ might be a bit of a stretch. I have never sold a work of art and all of my craft projects tend to be done as presents for my friends. However, I cannot deny that I am the current Guinness World Record holder for the Biggest Toast Mosaic. I made it for our Sandra, but it was the result of a competition win and therefore not strictly my own endeavour on all levels. The record stands though and I have a fabby certificate to show for it.
3. My favourite animals are probably cats. I have three cats, their names are Gaia, Gypsy-Moo and Morrighan. Morrighan is also known as the Comping Kitten and has won several prizes in her short life, including being named ASDA’s Happiest Pet in Britain. I am a proud mummy indeed.
4. I love doing things for silly reasons. One of my favourites to date was going on holiday with friends to Westward Ho! purely for the reason that it’s the only place in the country with punctuation in the name.
5. I used to be the lead singer in a Metal band called Quaggamilk. We weren’t very good and it didn’t last very long, but my metal gwarrr-scream was once compared to that of Phil Anselmo, the lead singer of Pantera. I am proud of this fact.
6. By night, I may be a mouthy, annoying pint-drinking Northern oaf, but by day I am a mild mannered museum curator. I curate archaeological, historical, numismatic and Egyptological collections. I love my job, my collections and my museums with an absolute passion. So much so, that for our second wedding (that’s another story) we got married at work! In Leicester’s beautiful 14th century Guildhall. It was a very special day and I was proud to have the opportunity.
7. I love animals a lot. So much so, I have been truthfully claiming for over a decade now that I am made of goats. Actually, in Westward Ho! (see point 4) we were at a farm place and we heard a room where they were trying to make new Lo-Lo’s out of goats! Loving animals this much becomes problematic and occasionally irritating for my husband as I will literally endeavour to stroke every single animal that I see, without exception. I was renowned at uni for chasing squirrels because I wanted them.